Friday, June 3, 2011

Pregnancy and Labor

Welcome to my blog about my son, Jackson Glynn. The reason for this blog is for other moms-to-be and mommys to see my son's progress and milestones. I'll start with my pregnancy. Well, what I remember about it (pregnancy brain is a real thing).


I found out I was pregnant on Tues, May 11, 2010 from a positive pregnancy test. It was a surprise since the BF (biological father) had told me that he wasn't able to have children (this coming from a guy who has 2 children from a previous marriage). I was supposed to be leaving for vacation with my mom starting on that Saturday. I think I told her on Thursday. I was bummed that I couldn't have any alcoholic drinks while in Cancun. When we got back from vacation I was 6 weeks along. I think I went about 2 more weeks, then the morning sickness kicked in. It wasn't mild sickness either. I couldn't keep anything down. It got so bad that I had to go to the doctor and get a prescription. After getting that, I could kind of tame the sickness, and I knew my limits on what I could and couldn't eat. Then, fear set in.

I knew it was coming even before the doctor warned me about it a month in advance; the dreaded glucose test at the doctor. I even did research on it and read some articles about how jelly beans could be substituted. I really wanted to eat the jelly beans instead, but my doctor didn't have that as an option. Let me give some advice to those first-time moms out there - put it in the refrigerator and when you drink it, put it over ice. I'm sure it's much better ice cold than it would have been had it been warm. I even went as far as to drink it from a straw so I could convince myself it was just orange soda. I ended up keeping it down. Also, a good idea was to have a sandwich in my purse to eat after I was done giving blood (since you're not supposed to eat anything before giving blood).


I jump to this since nothing significant happened since the glucose test. My labor was very easy in my opinion. I had been having Braxton-Hicks contractions for about a month before my real labor, so I was sort of prepared for it. Isn't it amazing how our bodies work? Anywho, I got to the hospital. I was dilated at a 2. They let me labor for about another hour and I was at a 4. I ended up getting the epidural, which in my opinion hurt more than the contractions from what I remember. About an hour later, the nurse and doctor came in and said that I was at a 6. They ended up breaking my water. About an hour later, I was at at 10. I think I pushed for about 20 minutes, and at 10:42pm I had my son. It was amazing that it really was love at first sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment